Debrecen lies on the Hungarian Lowlands in Eastern Hungary. The city is an educational, cultural, economic and financial centre. It was granted a town’s charter by Louis the Great in 1361. It has been the country’s capital twice in history: in 1849 and in 1944-1945. Closely linked with its history is the Calvinist College, founded in 1538, whose students frequently visited the Jagiellonian University. The college has a library of sacred works, the largest in Hungary. Other places of interest in Debrecen are: Great Calvinist Church where the famous organ concerts can be heard, the Deri Museum with Japanese and Chinese collections, a Classicist city hall, the Little Calvinist Church (called the “broken church”) and a fin-de-siecle building which is the seat of the regional authorities. At present Debrecen is the second largest city in Hungary. Owing to its geographical location it has become a gateway to Hungary, Romania, Ukraine and Slovakia. Numerous branches of industry have developed there, e.g. the grain and milling, meat, milk processing, tobacco and leather industries. The major enterprises in the city’s economic picture are the following: Hungarian Ball-Bearing Plant, Medical Equipment Factory "Medicor", Pharmaceutical Factory "Biogal", Debrecen Textile Factory and Poultry Plant. The city is a hub of regional trade. It is also a large academic centre where about 7,000 students are educated. Kossuth University, where many foreigners come to study, is the largest institution of higher education in Debrecen. The city hosts important cultural events, such as: Bela Bartok International Choral Competition, Jazz Days and the extremely colourful Flower Show. A tourist and spa complex near Debrecen is the most beautiful recreation centre in Hungary, and its hot springs are valued for their healing effects. Contacts between Lublin and Debrecen were initiated 40 years ago. On 2 June 1995 an agreement on the renewal of partnership relations was concluded.