Münster is the capital of North Rhineland-Westphalia. The city’s history goes back
to the year 800 when the first Christian order was founded there. In 1170 Münster received a town’s charter and became soon an influential religious and administrative centre.
In the 16th century it was strongly influenced by the Anabaptists. W 1648, after 5 years
of negotiations, the Peace of Westphalia was concluded in Münster. It marked the end
of the 30 years’ war and brought about territorial changes in Europe. From the very beginning of its existence, Münster has been perceived as the central city of Rhineland-Westphalia and in 1816 it became the region’s capital. Now it is one of the most beautiful and characteristic cities of Germany. Its area of 30,000 hectares is inhabited by about 280,000 residents. More than 40% of its employment-age population works in the public economy sector, 30% in trade, and 25% in industry. Münster is a regional administrative, trade and scientific centre. It has the third largest university in Germany where some 50,000 young people study.
The city’s academic character is visible also in the large number of research organisations and associations. Around the city there are more than 100 castles on water, all in a perfect condition. Münster’s most beautiful place is the market square – Prinzipalmarkt,
a shopping centre with exclusive shops, big department stores and famous coffee shops. Generations of merchants have built their houses there since 1280. In the market square there stands St. Lambertius’ Church on whose spire you can still see three cages in which bodies of three Anabaptist leaders were kept in the 1530s. It is worthwhile to see
the façade of the historic Gothic Town Hall and the cathedral clock which has chimed since 1540 and is expected to tick on until the year 2017. The residents say the city has about 50 different churches. Every year Münster hosts sumptuous carnivals and hot-air balloon races which attract crowds of tourists. The sister-city agreement between Münster and Lublin was signed on 30 November 1991.
tel: 0049 251 4920
fax: 0049 251 492 7783