Sumy and Lublin signed first the letter of intent on 21st June 2002. Bilateral contacts were based, as with other cities on supporting of entrepreneurs and business units from both cities, regions and countries. Ukrainian activity and strongwill of co-operation are
the results of good experiences of Sumy’s companies in importing Polish products and organising their production. On the other side, authorities of Sumy valued successes
of Lublin’s Economic Mission in Lugansk and suitable location of Lublin for Polish - Ukrainian exchange.
Sumy, a capital of region is placed on the Psiol river in North – East part of Ukraine, nearby Russian border. It has 310 thousands inhabitants. The city was established by Cossacks in 1652. In 1658 – 1764 it was a Russian army headquarter on the borderland with Ukraine and the Republic of Poland. Since 1765 it was a capital of the province and since 1835 capital of the gouvernement. Since 1877 it has had rail connection. The city was a traditional centre of trade and industry, especially in terms of sugar industry. In 1900 it had 28,5 thousands inhabitants. In 1918 – 1919 it was under the rules of Denikin’s army and then it became a part of Soviet Union. Since 1939 it was a capital of the district and
in 1941 – 1943 Sumy was under the German occupation. In 1944 the city was one
of the places of establishing Polish Army.In 1945 – 1991 it was included in Ukrainian Socialist Soviet Republic. Since 1991 it belongs to Ukraine.
Nowadays it is the city of chemical, engineering, electronic and clothing industry. There are also few colleges, a university and the only in Ukraine prestigious Higher Education School of Banking . Viktor Juszczenko – The President of Ukraine was born in the Sumy District.