The Union of Lublin Monument, situated on Lithuanian Square, was erected at the initiative of Stanisław Staszic in 1826. It commemorates one of the most important events in the history of Lublin - the Polish-Lithuanian Union in 1569. The monument’s location is not accidental. It was the camp of the Lithuanian nobility who came to the union parliamentary sessions.
The monument was erected in the form of a 13-meter high cast-iron obelisk on a brick, square platform, covered with granite slabs. On the platform there is a pedestal with a massive plinth and a prominent cornice with a brass letter inscription and a bas-relief on the front. The bas-relief presents two female figures (symbolizing the Crown and Lithuania) facing each other and shaking hands, with shields of arms of both countries (Polish – the White Eagle and Lithuania – the Pahonia) between them. Its author, Paweł Maliński, included in this gesture the symbolic unity of Poland and Lithuania, which were brought together by the union concluded in Lublin in 1569. At the back of lower part of the obelisk there is a small door closed with two locks that allows you to enter the interior of the monument.