The museum of John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin, founded in 2016, is a research, didactic, cultural and promotional unit of this oldest Lublin university. At present, it occupies the rooms of the former Dominican refectory in a historic part of the Main Edifice of Catholic University of Lublin. It is planned to expand the museum by incorporating the adjacent rooms, the historic cellars and the glazed patio. Until the opening of a new exhibition, the museum activity focuses primarily on organizing the thematic temporary exhibitions - mainly showing history of the university and history of art, basing on its own extremely valuable historical and artistic collections (documents and mementos, art from the 15 th to 20th centuries, archaeology).
The core of the collection are the artworks from the former University Museum - established on the initiative of priest Jan Władziński in 1932, which operated under different names until 2016. They are complemented by documents and mementos collected in years 2008-2016 in the University Museum of History of Catholic University of Lublin, as well as numerous archaeological monuments from the excavations in Piotrawina along the Vistula river and in Lublin’s Czwartek hill collected in the Department of Polish Archaeology, Institute of History of Catholic University of Lublin.