In 1877, a new rail route connecting Lublin with Warsaw and Kowel was opened, known as the 'Kolej Nadwiślańska' ('the Vistula Railway'). Interestingly, the journey time between Warsaw and Lublin was 7 hours. The location of the Lublin rail station, away from the city centre in an industrial area of the village of Bronowice, was determined by the guberniya engineer Feliks Łodzia Bieczyński. In 1877, one of the most impressive railway stations along the entire route was constructed in Lublin, according to the design of the architect W. Lanci. The railway station, erected in a clerical and tsarist style, was converted in the 1920's into the eclectic style. The current appearance of the building is a result of a range of subsequent renovation projects carried out in the 20th century.