It was built on the walls of the church and monastery complex of the Discalced Carmelites erected in 1613-1619. After being destroyed in great fire in 1803, the burnt edifices were taken over by the city. In the years 1827-1828 the ruins were rebuilt into the current building of city hall. During reconstruction, the main nave and western row of the chapels of the former church were adapted to the needs of the office. The façade was redesigned into the neoclassical style, it also received a four-column portico. Initially, on the ground floor there were the municipal treasury, a merchant's club, a police station and a jail, as well as the municipal archive, the first floor was occupied by the city hall’s offices and a ballroom. On the second floor the city president worked and lived.
During World War II (in 1939 and 1944) the city hall building was bombed and burned. It was rebuilt in the years 1947-1952 according to the design of architect Ignacy Kędzierski, who preserved the former exterior architecture. The interior was adapted to the new needs.
Nowadays, it is the seat of municipal self-government authorities, including the President of the City of Lublin.