Maria Curie-Skłodowska University Botanical Garden was founded in 1946. Originally it was located in Campus . The idea of creating the Botanical Garden appeared in the first year of the University's existence. In 1945, prof. Józef Motyka who was the organizer of the Botany Department, and prof. Adam Paszewski set up a commission to deal with the project to create the botanical garden in the estate of Sławinek. As it took a long time to obtain these grounds within the Plan of the Great Lublin, they decided to create the "Dendrological garden" in Campus – then called the old botanist, and today – a park. The location of the Garden in Sławinek was approved in 1951. Intensive efforts to obtain this land for the University were entrusted to the lecturer of the Department of Systematics and Geography of Plants, Kazimierz Bryński. Thanks to his enormous commitment and persistence, in 1958, the University obtained the property rights of 13 ha area. The peculiarity of Sławinek is a varied terrain with natural loess gully about 40 meters from the level of the Czechówka river valley with its adjacent ponds and active springs. Good soils and diverse microclimate are the right ecological conditions for a large biodiversity of plants. In the Garden there is a reconstructed noble manor house that in the second half of 18 th century belonged to Jan Nepomucen Kosciuszko, the uncle of Tadeusz Kościuszko who often visited this site.
There are about 6,500 species of flora growing here, gathered in several departments, among others, a rosarium, a branch of water plants or an alpine garden.